St Clair Cemetery, Mt Lebanon, Allegheny Co, PA

Search for cemetery records in Saint Clair Cemetery, PA at by entering a surname and clicking search:

Restrict search to

Surname

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Free Lowcountry Estate Records?

Yeppers, they are.  Thanks to a super effort of Low Country Africana and the South Carolina Department of Archives and History teaming up with Footnote, there's some great early records online.

Just yesterday, my buddy, Low Country Africana, sent a message out to one of the groups I follow that said the estate records and inventories from 1839-1867 were available for FREE on Footnote. 

Since they were from the center of the universe that some other non-knowledgeable folks call Charleston, I thought I'd take a look. 

If you've ever used Footnote to view their collections, this is a cinch to find.  Just type in "South Carolina Estate Inventories and Bills of Sale, 1732-1872," and you're there.  It's easy to use the index pages for each of the volumes.

While I did find some preliminary info on the estates of a COX and of a COWARD relative,  I was disappointed not to find more.  Of course, it would have helped if my family members had been so kind as to pass on during 1839-1867, and if they had all lived in the Charleston District!

These records are a tremendous resource for those who are looking for information on slaves owned at the time of the estate owner's death. 

Many thanks to Low Country Africana for pointing me to the estate inventories.  I look forward to seeing more years up soon.  You're doing a super job!

Ahh, genealogy.  It's always neat to find such great volunteers to give of their time so others can reap the harvest.

No comments: