St Clair Cemetery, Mt Lebanon, Allegheny Co, PA

Search for cemetery records in Saint Clair Cemetery, PA at by entering a surname and clicking search:

Restrict search to

Surname

Monday, May 23, 2011

GAR Post #3 History from 1894 Article

Last week, I was finally able to definitively determine the death date and the cemetery for William Wiley HUNNEWELL,  the brother of my 2g-grandmother.  With delight in my eyes, a cousin of mine took the date I supplied and found the 1931 obituary in Pittsburgh.

While I knew William had served in the Civil War and had moved to Wisconsin, and later back to Pittsburgh, I was surprised to find his obit made notice of his belonging to the General Alexander Hays GAR Post #3.

I scouted around for information on the post and to see if any records are still in existence.  Perhaps, I can uncover some more interesting tidbits for my family files.  So far, I have found an article from Sept, 1894 in the Pittsburgh Press which provides the following fun facts:

Post #3 was the first post organized in Pennsylvania November 2, 1866, as Post 1.  It became Post 3 after the national GAR was organized.

Charter members:
Gen. A L PEARSON
Capt. D M HOWE
Sergt. William HOWE
Capt. WB COOK
John F HUNTER
Lewis HAWNCH
Lieut. Joseph L EVANS
EG KENNEDY
Robert D McKEE
Maj Samuel KILGORE
Lee S SMITH
David R REWIS
WF HOOD

Other names from 1866-1867:
BF STEPHENSON
John M SNYDER
J Henry MILLER
John H MORRIS
George LAING
Hamlet LOWE
BF KENNEDY
George F MORGAN

1869 names:
William McMULLIN
Samuel HACKETT
William THOMPSON
Jos H GEY
HILL
HUNTER
WJ CRISWELL
COLLINS
SILNEY
HM CURRY
John McLANAHAN

Other names:
EA MONTOOTH
Crosby GRAY
BW BALDWIN
GB CHALMERS
WH McCLELLAND
HM QUIG
WW SCOTT
GB HUBBARD
SA WILL
RJ HERRON
Edward FISHER
JM HAYS
TJ HAMILRON
JM ROBERTS
WF SPEER
John D McFARLAND
WM BIRCH
WH LAMBERT
HO SHAY
AF DALZELL
Homer L McGAW
WH HART
Alex HUGHES
WJ HAMILTON
AT CORDELL
JH MILLER
Joseph B EATON
Chas TAYLOR
Wm NOTTER
Alex C CASKEY

In 1894, the post reported having 300 members in good standing.

I found the following surviving documentation from the post at the Soldiers & Sailors Museum:

Post 3 – Gen. Alexander Hays Minutes Book 1905 – 1909
Post 3 – Minutes Book 1906 – 1912
Post 3 – Minutes Book 1931 – 1940 with obits
Post 3 – Descriptive Books
Post 3 – Cash Receipts/Dues Journal with Roster 1926 – 1929
Post 3 – Cash Receipts Journal 1909 – 1938
Post 3 – Canceled Checks and Warrants


If you have an interest in looking at these files, Curator Michael Kraus says the records are available for viewing with a few days notice.

Oh, if only I could go----

Ahh, genealogy.  Remembering those who have gone before.....

©2011 AS Eldredge

1 comment:

FranE said...

The GAR is a focus of research for my greatgrandfather. They handled his burial, but so far I have not been able to locate the records.
I think it is an interesting organization.