St Clair Cemetery, Mt Lebanon, Allegheny Co, PA

Search for cemetery records in Saint Clair Cemetery, PA at by entering a surname and clicking search:

Restrict search to

Surname

Monday, May 30, 2011

New for Memorial Day: Relive World War I History Thru 1919 Articles

Last month, my genealogy buddy, Lynn B, sought my opinion on whether she should transcribe some World War I newspaper stories.  She sent a sample and I responded with a resounding "yes."

With the assistance of our favorite Rootsweb Web Files Manager, Ellis Michaels, on the Allegheny County PA GenWeb Archives site, these articles are now available for viewing.

The transcription is taken from the 1919 Pittsburg Press.  The article series is A History of Pittsburg and Western Pennsylvania Troops in the War written by John V Hanlon.

I will say my world came to a screeching halt as I read about the battles and the events which described how and where my grandfather was wounded and severely gassed.  After I took a few moments to say a prayer of thanks for his service and that of his fallen doughboy comrades, I eagerly read the other chapters.

In reading the 21 chapters, you will undoubtably gain a new appreciation for the sacrifices made by our World War I veterans.  Relive the joy, the pain, the sorrow and the tragedies of the day.

You can find these wonderful articles here: http://www.usgwarchives.net/pa/allegheny/military/wpa-ww1/contents.htm

Ahh, genealogy.  Read, weep, and take a moment to say your word of thanks to all our veterans, past and present.

©2011 AS Eldredge

No comments: