St Clair Cemetery, Mt Lebanon, Allegheny Co, PA

Search for cemetery records in Saint Clair Cemetery, PA at by entering a surname and clicking search:

Restrict search to

Surname

Thursday, October 07, 2010

Marking Veterans Final Resting Places

Chances are you have some veterans in the family. Have you thought of honoring the memory of their desire to protect our great land and the freedoms you enjoy?  It's easy and I encourage all genealogy and history buffs to honor your loved ones.

My grandfathers both served America in World War I.  One was in the Army and suffered from the exposure to mustard gas.  Click here to read more of Charlie and his World War I experience and subsequent death.  The other grandpa was in the Navy for a short stint, and died happily at an old age.

While my dad is buried in a military cemetery and has an official veterans marker, my grandfathers do not.  Since my grandpas both have headstones at their final resting spot, I have not had the reason to seek honoring their military service with a government issued headstone. But wait--  can I do it now?

Just recently, the Department of Veterans Affairs announced a new option to honor our veterans who are buried in private (non-government) cemeteries and who have privately purchased headstones.

Now, we can honor our veterans' service to our great land with the addition of a bronze medallion to the existing headstone.  For veterans who died on or after November 1, 1990, the medallion can be ordered through the VA.  For more information on the medallion option, visit http://www.cem.va.gov/hm/hmtype.asp

Perhaps, the VA will soon have these medallions available for veterans who died before 1990.  Wouldn't that be great?

Ahh, genealogy.  Loving the past and wanting to honor my special veterans---  always and all ways.

©2010 AS Eldredge

No comments: