St Clair Cemetery, Mt Lebanon, Allegheny Co, PA

Search for cemetery records in Saint Clair Cemetery, PA at by entering a surname and clicking search:

Restrict search to

Surname

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Tuesday Tip: Remember to Give Credit

I've been chatting with a distant (aren't they all?) cousin over the last few days. It's really gotten me energized to dig more into the family. From time to time, we must all go back and review the data and look around to see if anything new has been posted.

Imagine my surprise this morning when I found my hard long research from several years ago, along with photos that I think I'm the only one to have, copied word for word on Find a Grave.

Think, fellow genealogy researchers, of others' research when posting their information online. Be sure to give them the credit for their words and pictures!

I quickly emailed the contributor of the information taken from my site and asked her to correct the entry. I just want the credit, and of course, the way for other cousins to find me.

The contributor quickly emailed back and profusely apologized. I figured they just didn't think when they copied and pasted the information and pictures.

Use it. Just use it properly by giving credit where the credit is due. Or better yet-- contact the owner of the site to see how the work should be credited, or if you should just use one line with a link to the site of the original information.

Oh - the contributor was kind enough to go back and edit the entries showing the source of the information posted. One chore down for this really cold day!

No comments: