St Clair Cemetery, Mt Lebanon, Allegheny Co, PA

Search for cemetery records in Saint Clair Cemetery, PA at by entering a surname and clicking search:

Restrict search to

Surname

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Why is My Tavern Not Listed?

This link about early American inns really provides a great look into early America. I have yet to read it all, so I don't know if they will mention any of my family inns or not.

But what I did notice was the glaring omission of a tavern owned by my 5g-grandfather. The location of the inn was on Wall St and it is well documented in other books, records of New York City and old tourist guides. Why was it not mentioned in this book? Was it because the children pretty much left the city after the death of their father in 1795?

The tavern was the old Brock Tavern, which my grandpa renamed the "Sir Peter Warren" in 1770. Sir Peter Warren was a British Naval Hero who resided in New York City from 1730-1747. My grandpa did have to leave New York for a time when the British occupied during the Revolution as he was a staunch supporter of the American Patriots. The address for his inn was 63 Wall St and was next to the Presbyterian Church. The inn was also close to Federal Hall which is where the Declaration of Independence was read publicly on July 18, 1776. My grandpa was also given permission to try and negotiate with the British regarding removing canons from the ships overlooking New York and he supplied food to the American prisoners of war. In addition, city council records show many payments to my grandpa for food and drinks over the years.

So why isn't it mentioned? My guess is it burned c. 1850 and none of the family remained in New York City to rebuild it. By then, they had moved on. Some were in the government in DC, some were in Pennsylvania, Ohio and beyond.

Just another one of those interesting stories in American history that we genealogy buffs like.

Go and read this book. It is entertaining and chock full of Colonial life tidbits.

http://www.archive.org/stream/earlyamericaninn007043mbp/earlyamericaninn007043mbp_djvu.txt

No comments: