St Clair Cemetery, Mt Lebanon, Allegheny Co, PA

Search for cemetery records in Saint Clair Cemetery, PA at by entering a surname and clicking search:

Restrict search to

Surname

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Generations of American Patriots

As I reflect on the meaning of Memorial Day, I remember those American Patriots in my family. The respect I have for these men and their willingness to fight for or to preserve the freedom, which we have today, is immense. Their courage and belief in God and their country led each of them to serve America.

My family has long served America. We came from Ireland and England early in the 1700s. It must have been heart wrenching on the families as they left their homeland for a new one. It must have been difficult to decide to rebel against the King. But, rebel they did.

From an innkeeper on Wall St in New York City to a learned man in Lancaster Co, PA, to a Irishman in Washington Co, PA, they decided to fight for this new land. They decided to pursue freedom and their dreams of a free America.

Not only did these early men fight for America, they also had personal ties with George Washington. Washington ate at the tavern during Evacuation Day in NYC (yes, it's documented), and an uncle worked for him in the War Department.

Let's see. We fought in the War of 1812, the Civil War, World War I, and World War II.

Not only have we fought for America on the battlefields, we have also served in public office. From city council members to mayors to senators to a President of the United States, my family history is fascinating. It's one I never tire of as I seek to learn more.

As I listen to Taps this weekend, I will remember. Remember the men and women who have faithfully served America. Remember the fallen. Remember the living.

Someone recently said that it was because of the brave that we are free. Amen.

No comments: