St Clair Cemetery, Mt Lebanon, Allegheny Co, PA

Search for cemetery records in Saint Clair Cemetery, PA at by entering a surname and clicking search:

Restrict search to

Surname

Friday, March 08, 2013

Friday Funny: Letter Sent From Irish Mother

Laughing is good for the soul.  Sometimes the letters sent in the past could have the desired effect of making the recipient sit and laugh for a few minutes.

I found this letter in my mother's papers.  There is no date but the handwriting of her sister is at the top of the page with the words "Just for a couple of laughs." Why she kept it I don't know.  I just know I am glad she did.  For even today, this find made me sit and laugh.

Enjoy.

"To my Irish son from your Irish Mother"

Dear Son:

I'm writing this slow 'cause you can't read fast.  We don't live where we used to.  Your dad read in the pater where most accidents happen within 20 miles of home, so we moved.  I won't be able to send you the address, 'cause the last family that lived here took the number with 'em so they wouldn't have to change their address.

This place has a washing machine.  The first day I put in  4 shirts, pulled the chain, and haven't seen 'em since.  It only rained twice this week;  three days the first time and four days the second time.  About the coat you wanted me to send you?  Aunt Sue said that it would be too heavy with them buttons on it so we cut 'em off and put 'em in the pockets.

Your father has a lovely new job.  He has 500 people under him.  He cuts grass at the cemetery.  We also got a bill from the funeral home.  It said if we don't make the last payment on grandma's funeral, up she comes.  Your sister had a baby this morning.  I ain't found out if it's a boy or a girl so I don't know if you're an aunt or an uncle.

Your Uncle John fell into the whiskey vat while working at the distillery.  Some men tried to pull him out but he fought them off bravely, so he drowned.

Three of your old high school friends drove off the bridge in a pickup truck.  Jack, who was driving, rolled down the window and swam to safety.  Billy Bob and Bubba, who were riding in the back, drowned 'cause they couldn't get the tail gate down.

Not much more to say, nothing much has happened.

Love,
Mom

P.S.  I was going to send some money, but I had already sealed the envelope.

Ahh, genealogy.  Love to see the humor of the past.

No comments: