St Clair Cemetery, Mt Lebanon, Allegheny Co, PA

Search for cemetery records in Saint Clair Cemetery, PA at by entering a surname and clicking search:

Restrict search to

Surname

Friday, February 26, 2010

Follow Friday: Following "Da Burgh" Roots

Being a genealogy fiend, I find it useful to belong to local historical and genealogy societies in the areas where I spend my valuable research time. Since air fare and time can be prohibitive, I really enjoy societies who have taken the time to really provide a great service and look into the past.

I've been a card carrying member of the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society for a number of years. I've gone through the process to be a certified (documented) member of the First Families of Western PA as well as sending a Civil War Era Diary of my great great aunt Hannah. For those who are interested, Hannah's diary was first published in 2006 in the WPGS Quarterly. My cousins and I thought that the Quarterly would be a great fit for the diary as Hannah was born, reared, and died in Allegheny Co, PA.

The WPGS website has gone through some fantastic renovations over the years. Now they offer early issues online for their members. So, if you've got some roots in Da Burgh, I would heartily recommend joining the society. It's a great value and I've met some friends through it over the years-- even though I live hundreds of miles away.

If you're looking for me over the next few days, just remember I'm busy looking at old journals in addition to the all volunteer group of folks indexing deaths and marriages from Pittsburgh newspapers. As an update, our little project now has over 13000 entries in less than a month! And it's all free and online!!

Click here for WPGS and here to go to the Allegheny Co Death Index.

No comments: