St Clair Cemetery, Mt Lebanon, Allegheny Co, PA

Search for cemetery records in Saint Clair Cemetery, PA at by entering a surname and clicking search:

Restrict search to

Surname

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Grandpa was a Sailor?

Life is full of surprises. Just like today.

I was cruising around looking at World War I Draft Registration forms. I knew my paternal grandfather had signed the draft registration and I knew he had served in France. For more information on Grandpa Charlie of Company C, go back to my October 24, 2007 entry.

I have even held the card he signed while visiting the National Archives in Morrow.

Today, I typed in my maternal grandpa's name. Ahh. He, too, signed up for the World War I draft. Not a surprise as he was born in 1888. The surprise is his statement of having served four years as a seaman in the Navy. Huh??

I know I've never heard that before. Now I will contact some older cousins to see if they have any knowledge of that. When did he serve? Obviously,it was before 1917 when he signed the draft. Obviously, it was as a single man as he married grandma in 1915.

I do know he left school after 6th grade to help support his family. I do know he was a self made man. I do know he had beautiful blue eyes and a twinkle in his eye. I do know he loved his family. I also know he used to slice pieces of cake from the back side of the cake so grandma wouldn't notice it.

Now I shall have to look to see what more information surfaces on Sid. The secrets we uncover after so many years... Sometimes, they are fun. Sometimes, they are not. This one is just a "Well, what do you think about that?" kinda secret.

No comments: